Nov 6, 2010

Orphan Sunday~November 7th, 2010

Tomorrow is Sunday. November 7th, 2010. To those who are plugged in with the adoption community, it's also Orphan Sunday. What is Orphan Sunday you say? Orphan Sunday is a day of awareness, prayer and a call to advocacy for those children around the world who have lost their parent(s).
I've had a lot of people ask if I am only passionate about international adoption. Everytime I get asked that question, I have to fight back the tears. The answer is and always will be NO! I myself have been adopted by Christ and that adoption was bought with His precious blood. Why then could/would/should I ever discriminate over one type of physical adoption over the other? I can't. I won't. EVER. Every child deserves a family. A home. A support system of love, hope and promise.
I've heard a lot of people say that not every one is called to adopt. I believe that to be true, but everyone is called to care for the orphan and the widow and the oppressed. While adoption is not the solution to the world orphan crisis, poverty or oppression, it is a solution. There are many, many ways for one to be involved in making a difference in the life of an orphan. As we enter tomorrow and spend the day reflecting, be open to asking God what He would have from you and then be strong enough to hear the answer.

No comments: