Nov 24, 2010

I'm That Brave

Tomorrow is the big day. People to go. Places to go. Yummy things to eat. A time for friends, family, food, football and fun. I should be cooking. Or cleaning. Or packing our car. But I can't. I have a million other things to do and waning time in which to accomplish it all. And yet, I cannot move. I am paralyzed knowing that across my city, only a few miles from my house, sits a mother whose heart is breaking.
You see, my friend Alecia,leaves in 12 for Russia. She is taking her husband and three small children and getting on a plane to bring two angels home, a 13 year old boy and a 6-8 year old girl.
But my friend Alecia may not be able to get on that plane. And only one thing is stopping her. Money. They have 12 days to raise $19,000. In order to save money, they went through a facilitor instead of an agency which saved them a ton of money. But with fees, tickets, travel costs, and immigration paperwork, it still adds up. They have applied for grants and loans only to be denied because they didn't use an agency. Does that infuriate you? It does me and it should you.

Now adoption is tricky and hard and a complete miracle of redemption. But it is expensive. Emotionally, physically and financially draining. Raising a teenager is no easy business but signing up for a teenager, well that's just God at work. I don't think I'm that brave. And I can't imagine sitting across town wondering about my two children across the world and wondering about how tomorrow I am going to be thankful. I know I'm not that brave.Our God is the God of miracles and tonight, while I know we all have a million other things to do, reprinting this post, donating some $, getting on our knees and asking the God of heaven to come down and provide for what He favors and shouting that this Thanksgiving we will celebrate two children finding their forever home, I AM that brave!

Go here to read the Horner's story and donate. Go here to my Etsy shop where a portion of everything bought goes to the Horner adoption fund.

1 comment:

Alecia said...

Thank you Lindsey! I am so grateful for you! I was just sitting here catching up on your blog and saw this post. I love you! We still need help with the funds but God has provided through a short term loan for us to be here to get the kids over Christmas. Best. Gift. EVER!