Oct 16, 2010

I've Received Travel Approval

It's no big secret that ever since we been home from here:



I've been wanting to get back on one of these and go back:

The only thing stopping me has been:


We talk about Africa all the time. I explain why Mommy wants to go back and how much it means to me to be able to help people who may go to bed hungry every night. But at the close of each of these conversations, my daughter shakes her head and says "I will not let you go." I've asked her to come with me; I explain we won't stay; I promise that we won't leave Daddy and her brother, but still she nixes the whole idea. Until a few days ago.
She asked to go back to Disney this weekend. I said I'd rather be in Africa. She wrinkled her nose and said "Mommy, why you want go Africa?" I explain that I want to visit again and I want to help people. I ask her if she wants to go with me. She says: "Mommy, can we feed some kids?" "Yes," I explain. "We can feed some kids." She smiles and leaves the kitchen. I think we're through, but she returns with her piggy bank (which thanks to my dad letting her raid his pockets ALL the time, it's almost full). "Mommy, when we go to Africa, we can buy food with my piggy money. That can feed kids."
"Yes darling. It can feed some kids. And Ruta?"
"Yes mommy."
"I absolutely adore you."
"Mommy, what do 'adore' mean?"
Ruta~'Adore' is the crazy look Mommy gets in her eyes when she looks at you because you never cease to amaze me.

12 comments:

Theresa said...

What an amazing young girl!

Lori said...

SO, ARE YOU COMING WITH US???????

Gayla said...

Oh, so gorgeous.

Love you. Love her.

Julie said...

I am continually amazed by young people! Children such as these. . .

Debi Jenkins said...

So precious! What a heart that girl has!

Debi
http://jenkinsethiopiaadoption.blogspot.com/

Micah said...

Lindsey...she is BEAUTIFUL. I am so happy for you guys.

Kathleen Ellis said...

How sweet! What a beautiful soul!
:)

Amy said...

You tell Miss Ruta that Aunt Amy is sooooooo proud of her!! Maybe we'll be taking Ruta to Ethiopia with us. :) Give that sweet a girl a big hug for me please!!

A&W said...

sweetest conversation ever. evident what a special relationship yall have! Beautiful story.

Kathleen Ellis said...

Lindsey,
Does Le do screenprinting? For some reason Clint was thinking he did and thought about using him for our Africa shirts.
Let me know!
:)
Kathleen

Laura Ferry-Jimenez said...

I always say that this world would be a nicer place to live if we'd let our kids take over!

tell Ruta she has my vote! ;)

Deb said...

I love love love that story. :) Go back. It's better the second time! :):)