Sep 15, 2011

Cursed and Unimportant

(Guest Post by: Layla Payton)


I have a disorder that causes me swallowing difficulties. Sometimes it gets so bad that I have to go on a baby food, or a liquid diet. I am on the baby food diet at the moment.



I think an ulcer may be causing this particular flair-up, but I really don't want to talk about that right now. That's not the point of this post. The point of this post is attitude. I usually go into a major funk when I have to go on one of these diets. I LOVE to eat. I LOVE to bake. And I LOVE to eat what I bake. Take my food away, and I get a tad grumpy. Okay, probably more than a tad. I start to feel sorry for myself, because "everyone else" gets to eat a cheeseburger.


No, not everyone.


There is this little place. You may have heard of it.

It's called, "Africa."



I have some friends who are there at this very moment. Friends who stood in an official's office today. They dug in their heels and said (in so many words), " We are not leaving until you sign the paperwork." And they didn't, until a certain official signed that significant paperwork. Paperwork that NOW legally allows them to feed 60 children in Korah.


My sweet friend, Lindsey Andrews, posted this on her Facebook status:


"I made our entire team (5 of us) go the government office this morning. He about freaked to see all of us sitting at his desk BUT paperwork was signed and filed with the government!!!!! We are ready to start feeding tomorrow. THANK YOU JESUS!!!!!!!!"


(Yeah, now you know why Lindsey is often referred to as: "Bulldog." That's what you get when you have someone who is CrAzY in love with Jesus, AND an attorney.)


Do you know about Korah?

Please watch this if you don't.

(You'll need some Kleenex.)



"Cursed and Unimportant."


What if that was said about YOUR children?

What if that was YOUR child digging in the trash for food?


Yeah, kinda puts a whole new spin on things. Things like complaining about having to eat baby food.


I eat like a queen.

Enough with the "poor me," already.


The following is a post from Tom Cox, who was also in Korah:

"Visited the trash dump and met some boys that live in a make shift hut. They collect plastic bags and sell them by the bundle. They get about $0.30 per bundle. On top of that, they do this while dodging the bulldozer. The cool thing is, they are pooling their money together to send one of the boys to school.

That's the love of Jesus!"
Yep...
...that'll give you a GREAT BIG attitude adjustment!


No comments: