Mar 28, 2009

Meeting Mr. Right





Le and I met almost six years ago. He was working and living with my now brother-in-law, Brian. My mom had met him and immediately began trying to set us up. Every time we talked she would ask me if I had met Brian's gorgeous roomie. I had just finished my first semester of law school and needed a boyfriend like I needed another hole in the head, but how can you argue with your mom? I finally agreed to go to a softball game with my little sister, Laura. I saw him for the first time and I know it's a cliche, but I immediately fell in love with him. He had a great laugh and the clearest blue eyes I had ever seen and he looked me in the eye the entire time he spoke. Over that summer, I ran into him several more times and little did I know that while I was asking about him to my sister, he was driving Brian nuts with questions about me. I had scored tickets to John Mayer's summer tour with Graham Colton and Counting Crows in Dallas. I asked Le if he wanted to go with a group of friends and we could all ride together. He agreed! It worked out (as it always does with great love stories) that our schedules required us to leave later than everyone else and we ended up traveling together down to the concert just the two of us. Neither of us shut up until we reached Ardmore and stopped for dinner. We had so much in common, loved all of the same things and learned that the entire summer we were crushing on one another. We got home and I told my parents that I had met the man that I was going to marry. Exactly one year later, he proposed and we were married six months later. I only had two requirements for our wedding: I wanted my dad to walk me down the aisle and I wanted Chuck Black to marry us. I didn't want anything over the top, too "foo foo" or anything that was too fancy. I wanted it to be about us and our families and I wanted everyone to have a good time. I was working at the District Attorney's office at the time, preparing to graduate from law school and planning a wedding. I was more than stressed. I was fretting one day to Chuck about how I just wanted to marry Le and didn't need anything "princess-like". He very brilliantly suggested that we have our wedding in his courtroom, that way my mom could pin flowers on everything that didn't move and I wouldn't have to stress out. So we did! It was amazing. Our families got to pack his courtroom full of friends and family, and I got to marry my best friend.

No comments: