Mar 2, 2013

This Time of Year

Oklahoma this time of year is one of my favorites of all. The weather is temperamental no matter the season, but from end of January until middle of March, every day is a total surprise. Three weeks ago, my family spent the most amazing Sunday outdoors enjoying a 70 degree day.

Less than seven days ago, we were under a blizzard watch. Living on the plains always keeps us guessing.

But my favorite thing about this season is the anticipation. The seed and gardening catalogs start arriving the first part of January and I devour the contents like an addict needing a fix. Peppers, onions, tomatoes, carrots, flowers, seedlings, berry bushes and the like can keep me curled on the couch for an entire Saturday.

I make our list. Chart out rows and check my gardening notes from the season before. I double check the online almanac and place our first seed order.




And then I start daydreaming...

onions.



carrots.




Gardening even became a family affair last year. The kids and I would hit the door from school and work, drop everything and head to the back yard. They would search for new growth and water, while I pulled weeds and marveled at how amazing is God's handiwork.

Jen Hatmaker posted on facebook last week that she learned more about God from an hour gardening than from most Bible studies. I couldn't agree more. So many metaphors about growing, life, depth, pruning and removing what's dead are found in a garden.

So as the wind howls outside today, I checked our pepper and tomato seedlings tucked away in the windowsill and am preparing for a summer of what might be.


- Hugs n Love,

Lindsey

No comments: