Feb 5, 2013

I'm With You

The Hero and I didn't know much about soccer until the arrival of our two Ethiopian angels. Oh, we had heard the sport referred to as "football", but never really gave it much more thought. Since having the The Angel and The Dinosaur introduced into our lives, soccer has become part of our routine. While The Hero and I are doing our best, we're American football fans first and some times soccer doesn't compute to our language.

Based upon comments and stares we receive at the soccer field, The Angel and The Dinosaur appear to be some sort of soccer phenoms. While I think this is an amazing gift that my kids have been given, I am not a parent who believes that the future of my children solely rests in their athletic ability. If my babies want to love Jesus and play professional soccer or love Jesus and becoming starving artists, the only part that matters to mama is that they love Jesus and use their gifts to honor him.

The Angel asked me a few days ago if she could quit soccer and just play basketball. We talked about finishing some thing once you start it and being a person who is honorable to their word. At the end she asked me if I cared whether or not she played soccer.

I've been reading the kids a book by Bob Goff called Love Does. The first chapter of the book is entitled "I'm With You." The premises is based on an experience Bob had in high school with a friend who during an adventure told Bob he didn't care what choices Bob made because "I'm With You." This stuck with me. I think it makes a great parenting principle. And that's what I told The Angel. I told her that as long as she was true to herself and that she didn't go back on her word, whatever she chose to do, I would be there screaming on the side lines because I'm with her.




- Hugs n Love,
Lindsey

2 comments:

Deb said...

YES. I'm with you. Such a good reminder. (and, ehm, a certain author you mention may be at a certain non-profit's first conference ever in, ehm, November....)

cal+claire said...

I love that. I'm with you. Such a sweet reminder for your kiddo